Re: RARA-AVIS: Patrick's plan fro writing a novel

From: Patrick King ( abrasax93@yahoo.com)
Date: 11 Oct 2007

It would be hard to crank out a modern novel in 72 hours. Supposedly, that's what Hammett did with Falcon, but in it's original format I don't think Falcon exceeded 200 pages. Even Hard Case would be hard pressed to accept a novel that short, today. You could certainly flush out a first draft with a reasonable ending in that time, though. I find that the real work of writing a novel begins after the novel is essentially written. Rephrase where possible; rewrite where necessary. But rephrasing and rewriting are completely different efforts. When I rewrite, I come at a chapter from a completely new and more experienced position. I know what has to happen in the chapter, so I rewrite it without reference to the older version. Supposedly, Martin Cruz Smith was really working at a high level when he completed the ending to Gorky Park. He knew his energy was at fever pitch, so he rewote the beginning in the same session, and the rest is history.

Patrick King

____________________________________________________________________________________ Be a better Heartthrob. Get better relationship answers from someone who knows. Yahoo! Answers - Check it out. http://answers.yahoo.com/dir/?link=list&sid=396545433