RARA-AVIS: Cain and Hammett

From: Jack Bludis ( buildsnburns@yahoo.com)
Date: 02 Oct 2007

Channing said:

>>"When Hammett finally set out to write a proper novel,
"The Maltese Falcon", it is probably the finest hard-boiled detective novel ever written.

>>Comparing Cain to Hammett is like comparing noir to
hard-boiled.<<

The work of Cain defines Noir, all of his lead characters are screwed.

Hammett's leads are all tough, even in THE THIN MAN.

Channing continues:

>>They're the grandfathers of the modern
crime novel and their names have become examples of greatness in their respective oeuvre.<<

I'm not sure we'll find many on this list to disagree.

Jack Bludis

      ____________________________________________________________________________________ Don't let your dream ride pass you by. Make it a reality with Yahoo! Autos. http://autos.yahoo.com/index.html