Re: RARA-AVIS: Types of noir (was Re: Pop. 1280)

From: IndieCrime@gmail.com
Date: 01 Aug 2007

Is The Big Heat the book on which the 1953 Lee Marvin movie of the same name is based ? Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

-----Original Message----- From: "Allan Guthrie" < allan@allanguthrie.co.uk>

Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2007 14:59:32 To:< rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com> Subject: Re: RARA-AVIS: Types of noir (was Re: Pop. 1280)

I'd suggest that many of David Goodis's protagonists are victims of circumstance.

 How about the protagonist of THE ROAD? I didn't spot the part where he transgresses, but he steals to survive so I suppose it depends whose morals we're talking about.

 Several Woolrich protagonists are non-transgressing victims.

 Stephen King's MISERY -- unless killing off a fictional character is a moral transgression.

 I'd also suggest that in McGivern's THE BIG HEAT, the protagonist is doomed the moment his car explodes (ie before he commits any act of transgression).

 Al