Re: RARA-AVIS: Types of noir (was Re: Pop. 1280)

From: Allan Guthrie ( allan@allanguthrie.co.uk)
Date: 01 Aug 2007

I'd suggest that many of David Goodis's protagonists are victims of circumstance.

How about the protagonist of THE ROAD? I didn't spot the part where he transgresses, but he steals to survive so I suppose it depends whose morals we're talking about.

Several Woolrich protagonists are non-transgressing victims.

Stephen King's MISERY -- unless killing off a fictional character is a moral transgression.

I'd also suggest that in McGivern's THE BIG HEAT, the protagonist is doomed the moment his car explodes (ie before he commits any act of transgression).

Al