Re: RARA-AVIS: Types of noir (was Re: Pop. 1280)

From: IndieCrime@gmail.com
Date: 29 Jul 2007

Not to turn this into a theological debate, but free will is the whole point of the Adam and Eve story. God said don't eat the fruit and they ate it anyway. Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

-----Original Message----- From: Michael Robison < miker_zspider@yahoo.com>

Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2007 06:00:59 To: rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com Subject: Re: RARA-AVIS: Types of noir (was Re: Pop. 1280)

John Lau wrote:

 if the concept of Original Sin (you are born damned)
 isn't noir, I don't know what is

 *****************
 Although it is belaboring the obvious, it is worth
 noting that most noir protagonists are quite capable
 of screwing themselves without God's assistance.

 The doom of most noir protagonists is brought about
 through immoral behavior. I guess we could deny free
 will and swim in those murky metaphysical waters, but
 for the most part that is not what noir is about. I
 believe that the protagonists of The Postman Always
 Rings Twice, Thieves Like Us, and Nightmare Alley made
 choices. I am not denying that some characters have
 little choice, driven by internal (Lou Ford in The
 Killer Inside Me) and external forces (Stephen Crane's
 Maggie) greater than they can control, but even these
 novels involve a covert theme of free will on the part
 of the reader.

 miker

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional