RARA-AVIS: A couple New Reads

From: cptpipes2000 ( cptpipes@hotmail.com)
Date: 20 Jul 2007

I recently finishe Don Winslow's The Winter of Frankie Machine. I thought Winslow's Power of the Dog was among the best books of 2005 and it has always annoyed me that he didn't get more acclaim for that outstanding work. When I started Frankie Machine, I thought it was going to be Winslow's deliberate effort to scale back from the sweeping scope of Power of the Dog. The book started off that way, but expanded to include much, much more. The Rara- Avis archive show that Crider reviewed this on his blog last December, and his review nails it.

I've also started reading Charles McCarry. I haven't read much in the spy genre beyond Robert Littell and Kent Harrington's American Boys, but the two books I've read so far in McCarry's series are highly recommended.