RARA-AVIS: Re: Pop. 1280

From: Channing ( filmtroll@sbcglobal.net)
Date: 20 Jul 2007

I just wanted to chime in with my love for Pop. 1280. It's remarkable how Thompson could take an identical plot to "The Killer Inside Me" and write a completely different novel... this one funny and breezy despite being violent and very noirish.

I don't know how he does it but Thompson had a skill of being able to write a story from the first person where the narrator thinks he's hot stuff and the smartest guy in the room, but you can STILL SEE THE WALLS OF DOOM CLOSING IN AROUND HIM. Everything is slanted in his favor because he's telling the story, but you can tell he's going to be screwed anyway. For me this is quintessential noir.

--Channing