Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Real Cool Killers

From: DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net
Date: 18 Jul 2007

Mario wrote:

"I strongly suggest (though it's your money) that you give Himes's Harlem novels the full treatment. They make up a great body of work."

A few years ago, Payback Press (UK) put all eight novels out in three volumes of three books each (adding Plan B to the third volume). Each is prefaced by an essay (for instance, Himes's Dilemma of a Black Writer in America in the second). Unfortunately, I think they are now out of print.

"Himes rocks! . . . I guess you have guessed by now that I am a longtime Himes fan... Ever since I found Blind Man with a Pistol (great title, by the way)."

Great title and great book.

I have an old Black Lizard I've never read, Coffin & Co by Niami Simon. According to the back cover, it's about two cops who have convinced their co-workers that they were the inspiration for Coffin Ed and Gravedigger Jones. Now they set out to convince Himes not to end the series. I kept meaning to read this after finishing the Harlem Cycle
(as Payback Press calls it), but still haven't. Is it any good?

Mark