RARA-AVIS: Re:Definitions

From: Timothy J. Lockhart ( timlockhart@hotmail.com)
Date: 09 Jul 2007

I don't think I've seen better (or more concise) definitions of noir and hard-boilied than Jack Bludis's "screwed" and "tough." Moreover, those definitions neatly illustrate the close connection between the two genres. The screwed are often tough, and the tough are often screwed.

Re: the argument that noir is limited to a certain period. If a 1990s novel like Vicki Hendricks's "Miami Purity" ain't noir, what is it? How could the ending of that book could be any more noir?

_________________________________________________________________ http://im.live.com/messenger/im/home/?source=hmtextlinkjuly07