RARA-AVIS: The Hills of Homicide

From: GB ( mnc_fb@yahoo.com)
Date: 09 Jul 2007

I just bought "The Hills of Homicide," a collection of eight crime short stories by Western writer Louis L'Amour. Has anyone here heard of the book or read it? I knew L'Amour had written numerous stories outside the genre that made him famous, but I wasn't aware that these in particular had been anthologized. The Bantam edition does not provide any information about the publication dates but L'Amour says in the intro that he used to publish in the same magazines that Hammett, Chandler and Woolrich did, so I assume he's referring to Black Mask and similar titles. The stories are billed as "hard-boiled" by L'Amour himself but I'm curious as to what the members of this list think of them.

-GB. sweethomealameda.blogspot.com