Re: RARA-AVIS: The Hills of Homicide

From: BaxDeal@aol.com
Date: 09 Jul 2007

> I just bought "The Hills of Homicide," a collection of eight crime
> short stories by Western writer Louis L'Amour. Has anyone here heard
> of the book or read it? I knew L'Amour had written numerous stories
> outside the genre that made him famous, but I wasn't aware that these
> in particular had been anthologized. The Bantam edition does not
> provide any information about the publication dates but L'Amour says
> in the intro that he used to publish in the same magazines that
> Hammett, Chandler and Woolrich did, so I assume he's referring to
> Black Mask and similar titles. The stories are billed as "hard-boiled"
> by L'Amour himself but I'm curious as to what the members of this list
> think of them.

I've read just one L'Amour, a contemporary cold war thriller. I finished it because I was being paid to adapt it to the screen. he has by far one of the most unreadable prose styles I have ever encountered in modern fiction. and he hits whatever meager points he wants to make again and again as if with a hammer

Louis L'Amour? Louis L'Haine

John Lau