Re: RARA-AVIS: The Ferguson Affair by Ross MacDonald

From: harry.lerner@mail.mcgill.ca
Date: 12 May 2007

I agree that THE FERGUSON AFFAIR is a worthwhile read. Unlike with Archer, we get to see a more personal side to Gunnarson. MacDonald looks at Gunnarson's private life in greater detail as a means of establishing a broader, more personal context for his motivation in pursuing the investigation in question. Perhaps this book was an experiment on MacDonald's part. If so it is a shame he didn't experiment any further. Although his subsequent return to Archer was no less satisfying for his not having done so.

Best, Harry