RARA-AVIS: Peter Rabe's THE BOX

From: e_lynskey ( e_lynskey@yahoo.com)
Date: 08 May 2007

I finished reading Peter Rabe's THE BOX, the Stark House edition packaged with JOURNEY INTO TERROR. The nutshell plot concerns Quinn, a sharpie New York City lawyer, shipped out by the Mob in a wooden crate round-trip to teach Quinn a lession. Quinn is busted out of the crate in the North African town of Okar, still alive but a bit unglued. After surveying the town's operations, he tries to muscle in on the local smuggling business. One of the striking qualities about Rabe is his original "voice", and I'd vote "thumbs up" on it. The harsh, claustrophobic setting helps to develp the "box" metaphor in the story. Helpful essays by Ed Gorman, Bill Crider, Donald Westlake, and George Tuttle offer perspective on the author and his work, including the Gold Medal canon. Like Charles Williams and John D. MacDonald, Rabe's fiction tells a good story but in a fresh, accessible way.