RARA-AVIS: RE: Hammett Hang Out

From: Mark Coggins ( coggins@immortalgame.com)
Date: 06 Apr 2007

>In one of his Lew Archer novels, I think it might have
>been THE ZEBRA-STRIPED HEARSE, Archer confers with a
>San Mateo County deputy sheriff who works out of HMB's
>substation. He describes the town fairly accurately
>so that anyone who was familiar with the place would
>recognize it.

Jim,

I'd forgotten, but went back to check: right you are. Archer takes a cab from Redwood City to "Luna Bay" in chapter 7. I think he undervalues the real estate a little, though, making it sound like a cheap subdivision. Now, anyway, that area is as expensive as anywhere else in the Bay Area.

--MC