RARA-AVIS: Re: Shaft

From: jimdohertyjr ( jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com)
Date: 30 Mar 2007

Mark,

Re your question below:

> How many Shaft novels were there? I have three: Shaft, Shaft
Amongst
> the Jews and Shaft's Big Score. All three are credited to Tidyman,
> though only the first two are copyrighted by him. The third is
> copyrighted by the studio that made the film of that title. I'm
> guessing that means it was a novelization, perhaps (probably?) not
by
> Tidyman.

There were seven Shaft novels credited to Tidyman. They were:

SHAFT (1970) SHAFT AMONG THE JEWS (1972) SHAFT'S BIG SCORE(1972) SHAFT HAS A BALL (1973) GOODBYE, MR. SHAFT (1973) SAHFT'S CARNIVAL OF KILLERS (1974) THE LAST SHAFT (1975)

Generally, series that have employed ghost writers/collaborators tend to have had a lot more entries and and to have appeared over a longer period of time. There were something like 60 Mike Shayne books over nearly 40 years, for example, and almost as many Saint books over nearly 50.

SHAFT'S BIG SCORE was, as you surmise, a novelization of an original screenplay. However, if memory serves, Tidyman might have been one of the screenwriters, along with John D.F. Black, so he might have gone ahead and written the novelization himself. Max Allan Collins wrote the novelization for ROAD TO PERDITION, Murphy and Sapir for REMO WILLIAMS - THE ADVENTURE BEGINS, and David Morrell for at least one of the "Rambo" movies, so it's not unheard of for an original writer to write the novelization of a dramatic script featuring the character he created.

On the other hand, three of the Shaft novels, SHAFT, SHAFT AMONG THE JEWS, and GOODBYE, MR. SHAFT were first published in hardcover. SHAFT'S BIG SCORE, SHAFT HAS A BALL, and SHAFT'S CARNIVAL OF KILLERS were PBO's. Maybe Tidyman arranged for someone else to write the paperbacks to keep the pot boiling, while he concentrated on the books destined to be preserved between boards.

I'm not sure whether or not the appropriately named THE LAST SHAFT was ever published in the US. It definitely was in the UK, but I've never seen a copy on this side of the pond.

SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT

  Reportedly, Shaft has a rendevous with Reichenbach Falls, but, unlike Holmes's, it's on stage and irreversible. So apparently Tidyman wasn't kidding when he called it THE LAST SHAFT.

END SPOILER ALERT END SPOILER ALERT END SPOILER ALERT

Anyway, that doesn't definitely answer your question about whether or not Tidyman used ghosts, but maybe it's food for thought.

BTW, Dennis Lynds once told me that, while Halliday had nothing really to do with the Shayne short stories that appeared in MSMM, he at least made some contribution on the novels. The "collaboration" might not have amounted to much, but he put something of his into the books.

This would seem to be confirmed by the fact that the novels stopped appearing immediately after Halliday's death in 1977, but the short stories continued to appear for as long as MSMM lasted.

As for Leslie Charteris, he was always up-front about his ghosts. Usually, though it was his name on the cover, he'd make a point of mentioning the names of the people who did the actual writing in introductions he wrote for the ghosted material.

JIM DOHERTY