RARA-AVIS: Re: Shaft

From: m23to53 ( library.john@virgin.net)
Date: 31 Mar 2007

> How many Shaft novels were there? I have three: Shaft, Shaft
Amongst
> the Jews and Shaft's Big Score. All three are credited to Tidyman,
> though only the first two are copyrighted by him. The third is
> copyrighted by the studio that made the film of that title. I'm
> guessing that means it was a novelization, perhaps (probably?) not
by
> Tidyman.
>
> Also, I haven't read any of these. Are they any good?
>
> Mark

The Shaft novels are: Shaft (n.) Macmillan 1970 Shaft Among the Jews (n.) Dial 1972 Shaft's Big Score (n.) Bantam 1972 Goodbye, Mr. Shaft (n.) Dial 1973 Shaft Has a Ball (n.) Bantam 1973 Shaft's Carnival of Killers (n.) Bantam 1974 The Last Shaft (n.) Weidenfeld 1975

It appears that 'Shaft has a ball' and 'Shaft's carnival' killers' were actually written by Robert Turner. It's also interesting to note that the last book apparently did not appear in the US - or can anyone say otherwise.

Regards John