RARA-AVIS: Malet and Tardi

From: Juri Nummelin ( juri.nummelin@pp.inet.fi)
Date: 28 Mar 2007

Mark D:

"I've never read a Malet novel, but the comics are superb--Tardi does a magnificent job capturing the feel of Paris, especially its architecture, and I am told that Malet heartily approved of the comics adaptations."

I've read at least three novels by Malet and I think that Tardi's graphic novelizations are much better. Don't really know why this is, but the art really adds to the stories that seem to me to be pretty mediocre. Maybe it's the translations - two or three in Finnish, one in English. (Furthermore, I've had only limited interest in Tardi's non-Malet work. The stories are not contradictorily strong enough.)

Juri