RARA-AVIS: Re: Lehane & coming of age stories

From: Richard Moore ( moorich@aol.com)
Date: 19 Mar 2007

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "Bookbitch" <BookBitch@...> wrote:

 has anyone read Sweet Dream Baby by Sterling Watson? It's
> a coming of age story set in small town Florida in the 1950's and
is very
> chilling. It was my understanding that it was supposed to be the
first book
> of a trilogy, but that was like 2003 or so and nothing since. I
really
> liked this book but it was one of those that really flew under the
wire.

> Cheers,
> Stacy
>
> I am the BookBitch

I have not read that particular book but Sterling Watson is a good writer. If I have my Florida writer's tree correctly, Watson was a student of Harry Crews and I believe Dennis Lehane was a student of Watson's. Lehane received a degree from the Eckert College where Watson teaches and they have written together. I also think James W. Hall was another student of Watson's students.

Richard Moore