Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: The Long Goodbye

From: Patrick King ( abrasax93@yahoo.com)
Date: 23 Feb 2007

As Frank Harris noted, Wilde was more sinned against than sinning. I think it's ironic that societies that pretend to be led by a guy who said: "Let him who is without sin cast the first stone," are so judgemental they can imprison someone because they disapprove of his private behavior. In early 20th Century Britian it's unlikely there was a man in that courtroom with no homosexual experience. The trial of Oscar Wilde was the British equivalent of the Scopes Monkey Trial, an embarrassment to the status quo.

Patrick King

____________________________________________________________________________________ Expecting? Get great news right away with email Auto-Check. Try the Yahoo! Mail Beta. http://advision.webevents.yahoo.com/mailbeta/newmail_tools.html