Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: The Long Goodbye

From: DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net
Date: 15 Feb 2007

TL wrote:

"Did you read the book? And if so, how do you feel they compare? Has anyone on list read THE PLAYER?"

I've got a copy on shelves, along with Tolkin's Among the Dead. Didn't he recently put out a sequel to The Player?

Given how much I like his movies, those he wrote and those he directed
-- Gleaming the Cube, Deep Cover, The Rapture, New Age, etc -- I don't know why I've never read his books. I should get on that.

As for the movie, The Player, I was a bit disappointed. There were a lot of good scenes and bits along the way, but no matter how ironic the celebrity cameos were supposed to be, it was still those celebrity appearances that sold the movie. Yes, there was probably some satisfaction for Altman in using their attachment to sell the project that bit the hand that had alternately fed and bitten him, but there were so many celebrity appearances that they took over the movie and made it guilty of exactly what it criticized.

Mark