Re: RARA-AVIS: Sports Noir

From: Steve Novak ( Cinefrog@comcast.net)
Date: 14 Feb 2007

All your suggestions sound great and, as I got for Valentine¹s day present a book about Pistol Pete whom I met in my first year in the US as he was playing for LSU, I am already tempted by your description of The Great Molinas...

Just for the sake of argument I would be very curious to know about any noir connection with car or motorcycle racing...I know of a book by Vachss called The Getaway Man whose hero is a Œdriver¹...unfortunately Vachss has bad press on Rara and in the States in general, but the book is great...and dark as wet shoe polish...but there must be some bleak corners of pre-Nascar bootleging that have produced some dark screetching tales...???... Any dark corners in the Pan-American race or anything else on two or four wheels?

Steve Novak Cinefrog@comcast.net