RARA-AVIS: Funny noir

From: Dick Lochte ( dlochte@gmail.com)
Date: 02 Feb 2007

Richard Moore wrote: On the other hand, I do believe a novel can be both hardboiled and funny.

Just today I began reading a very funny novel I learned about through Keith Roberts' memoir (of sorts) LEMADY. The book is DON'T POINT THAT THING AT ME by Kyril Bonfiglioli and it manages to be both tough and very, very funny.

--------

Let me suggest (and recommend) another: City of Tiny Lights by Patrick Neate. Some of the dialogue and narrator observations are hilarious. But the plot -- involving politics, racism, crime and international terrorism paranoia -- is properly dark.

Dick Lochte