Re: RARA-AVIS: RE : Lolita and noir

From: Patrick King ( abrasax93@yahoo.com)
Date: 02 Feb 2007

Hi Richard,

I'm afraid the humor in Lolita was lost to me. I think Nabokov wrote it ironically, because of the hypocracy he saw as an immigrant in US society, but I don't find Lolita funny. Irony is certainly not LOL humor. Thompson's Recoil is a very ironic novel, as is Warren's All The King's Men, but neither could be considered actually funny. I think an argument could be made that Warren's novel is also "noir," but it may go beyond that genre. I think, personally, that Lolita is basically a noir novel composed by a genius.

Patrick