Re: RARA-AVIS: Re:The Long Goodbye

From: Patrick King ( abrasax93@yahoo.com)
Date: 26 Jan 2007

Stve Novak wrote:
"I¹d be less gentle than Jim B...Jim D. you need to watch it, and watch it again, and again...and maybe in between repeated viewings you need some Glenfiddish or Lagavulin... or somethin¹...because the film is excellent!"

Frankly, Steve, if one has to watch it over and over and alter one's consciousness too, in order to appreciate it, how good can it be? I find Altman's The Long Goodbye a dull, half hearted attempt made primarily to help Elliott Gould change his image. Even in this, the film is a failure. The only film that really captures the essense of Chandler's LA is Bogart's The Big Sleep, and even this was ruined by the Hayze Office and their censorship policies. These stories can all be remade with fidelity to the plot and the era to great advantage. Anything less will be the usual Hollywood 'rush with the flush,' and others will be having this same discussion 20 years from now about how good the originals are and how stupid producers are to screw with their basic elements.

Patrick King

( http://www.bbc.co.uk/films/2001/01/08/the_long_goodbye_1973_review.shtml)

____________________________________________________________________________________ Any questions? Get answers on any topic at www.Answers.yahoo.com. Try it now.