RARA-AVIS: Re:The Long Goodbye

From: Dave Zeltserman ( dz@hardluckstories.com)
Date: 27 Jan 2007

This might be sacrilege to say here, but I liked the movie more than I liked the book, but then again, I'm a huge Altman fan. McCabe & Mrs. Miller is as perfect a movie as I can ever remember seeing
(although Third Man comes close). anyway, the Long Goodbye is a truly inspired movie with probably Gould's best performance, and a terrific one by Sterling Hayden.

--Dave z.

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, Steve Novak <Cinefrog@...> wrote:

> I¹d be less gentle than Jim B...Jim D. you need to watch it, and
watch it
> again, and again...and maybe in between repeated viewings you need
some
> Glenfiddish or Lagavulin...or somethin¹...because the film is
excellent!

> Moreover theres¹ Jim Bouton in it, the pride of Newark (and
Yankees) as

( http://www.bbc.co.uk/films/2001/01/08/the_long_goodbye_1973_review.sh tml)
> The Long Goodbye (1973)
> Reviewed by Michael Thomson
> Updated 8 January 2001
>
> When "The Long Goodbye" was first released, Raymond Chandler fans
dropped
> their jaws at what they perceived as an utter outrage. How could
Robert
> Altman - one of America's most creative, irreverent film makers -
turn
> Chandler's super-sleuth, Philip Marlowe, into a not particularly
sharp slob?
> And of course, this is exactly the kind of fuss Altman has always
relished.

> Now, more than 30 years on, "The Long Goodbye" can be re-evaluated
since it
> is currently being re-released as part of an Altman season at the
National
> Film Theatre. Altman cleverly hired Leigh Brackett, who had co-
scripted "The
> Big Sleep" (still Chandler's definitive screen moment), and she
helped
> Altman layer a picture that is as much a crisp comment on
contemporary LA
> (and its full-on egotism) as a tale delineating Marlowe's crime-
busting
> pursuits.
>
> As the gumshoe comes to the aid of a rather odd friend who is
suspected of
> killing his wife, Altman employs both laser-sharp irony and broad
jokiness
> (the latter often via John Williams' score) as he places Los
Angeles under
> the microscope, while Elliott Gould in the lead seems to relish the
joke of
> serving up Marlowe in a radically different way.
>
> Excellent support is provided throughout. You might recognise
Austria's most
> famous film star in an early, uncredited bit-part.
>

> On 1/24/07 1:58 PM, "Jim Beaver" <jumblejim@...> wrote:

Chandler, it's