Re: RARA-AVIS: Re:Stephen King's THE COLORADO KID - A solution to the mystery

From: Gratefulbear ( gratefulbear@comcast.net)
Date: 15 Jan 2007

Interesting solution to the mystery. The Colorado Kid is unique among Hard Case Crime novels in that we're never really sure a crime has been committed. It's also the only HCC novel that isn't "hard-boiled," by any definition of the term. In fact, it's really a "village cozy." I kept expecting James Qwilleran and his cats to show up any minute and solve the mystery. :o)

I think the ambiguous ending, though, is what makes it appropriate for HCC. HCC has already established itself as a publisher willing to take risks. The big one that comes to mind is The Confession, which I understand was rejected by several other publishers. The Confession is a powerful novel, but when it won the Edgar Award it upset a lot of people because it "isn't really a mystery."

Witness to Myself by Seymour Shubin is another HCC novel that is a powerful psychological thriller, and I'll be surprised if it doesn't win awards too. And its cover is my favorite HCC cover so far. I think it captures the
"noir" feeling of the novel as well as the whole Hard Case Crime series.

Darrell