Re: RARA-AVIS: Cracking the Hardboiled Detective and Bruen

From: Patrick King ( abrasax93@yahoo.com)
Date: 18 Dec 2006

I believe, in the 18th century, the idea of an amateur detective was one who did not work for a police force or an agency. Holmes, not surprisingly as he was modeled closely in DuPin, was also referred to as an amateur detective although he clearly received payment for his work, too. This is all before the concept of
"private detective." Consider too Horning's books about Raffles 'the amateur cracksman.' Actually, Raffles was an amateur cricket player, which meant he was hired for private cricket matches as a sort of ringer, but he didn't play for a specific team. Today we consider an amateur a hobbyist, someone not good enough to be a professional. In the 18th century an amateur was highly skilled but chose to, or due to his class and upbringing, had to do something else for a livlihood. For example, Louis XVI was an amateur watchmaker. By all accounts he was a better watchmaker than he was a king, but there was not question of a person born a monarch becoming a tradesman. As is true today, being an amateur did not preclude a person from being paid, it just did not guarantee pay as being a professional does.

Patrick King