RARA-AVIS: Cracking the Hardboiled Detective and Bruen

From: Michael Robison ( miker_zspider@yahoo.com)
Date: 17 Dec 2006

Well, thought I'd write a quick post before I head up to Chicago for some meetings Monday and Tuesday. I got a new hardboiled criticism book called Cracking the Hardboiled Detective. By a fellow named Moore. It looks like it might be readable. At least he hasn't decided to entertain some ridiculous thesis like hardboiled is all a variation on the Prodigal Son story, or that hardboiled is only relevant when it deals with "crimes of state." All Moore's going for is following recurrent themes from its origin through to the present. Page two and he makes a mistake by declaring Poe's Dupin to be a "pure amateur." If I recall correctly, Dupin demands and gets payment from the police on at least one of his jobs.

I have been reading nonfiction almost exclusively for the last few months, but since there's been a lot of praise for Bruen, I've packed The White Trilogy in my bag. I read the first a while ago. I'll give the second a go. I read a few pages last night. I also threw Goodis's Cassidy's Girl in for good measure.

miker