Re: RARA-AVIS: Best Contemporary Hardboiled Author?

From: Aldo Calcagno ( mysdawg@sbcglobal.net)
Date: 03 Dec 2006

Harry and David are right....LA REX jsut grabs you by the throat and doesn't let up. As may know this book has been optioned for a movie too.

I would like to add Pierce Hansen to the mix or must reads and Marcus Sakey's THE BALDE ITSELF is excellent!

Aldo
  Mystery Dawg http://acalcagno.blogspot.com

----- Original Message ---- From: Harry Hunsicker < harryhunsicker@yahoo.com> To: rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com Sent: Sunday, December 3, 2006 3:17:07 PM Subject: Re: RARA-AVIS: Best Contemporary Hardboiled Author?

I second all the suggestions already made (Bruen, Connelly, McCarthy, Charlie Huston, Pelecanos, Hendricks, etc.) but would like to add a debut author to the list.

I am about 75 pages into Will Beall's first novel, LA REX, nominally a police procedural if you want to classify it, but that really doesn't come close to describing what I have read up to this point. David Thompson at Murder By the Book in Houston gave it his highest recommendation, and so far I have to agree. Hard-boiled in the extreme. The author is a working cop in the 77th division of Los Angeles with a unique voice and an excellent eye for details which make the action jump of the page. Check it out if you are looking for something different.

--Harry http://www.harryhun sicker.com