Re: RARA-AVIS: noir writers on McCarthy

From: Ed Lynskey ( e_lynskey@yahoo.com)
Date: 07 Oct 2006

Ron Charles, critic (but not noir writer) at the Washington Post, last week talked about the violence in McCarthy's new title, THE ROAD:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/09/28/AR2006092801460.html

Ed Lynskey

--- Jay Gertzman < jgertzma@earthlink.net> wrote:

> I wonder if any contemporary noir writers have commented on
> Cormac
> McCarthy's work, either _No Country for Old Men_ or earlier,
> more
> widely-ranging stories. Contemporary noir writers might have
> comments on
> McCarthy's novels: the violence and where it comes from, the
> reality
> checks and the debunking of myths and shrines, the 19th
> century
> underworld of the American city are all noirish, as is the
> poetic,
> emotional intensity of McCarthy's descriptions. I suppose
> only
> contemporary novels can be as explicitly, clinically violent
> as
> McCarthy is. He's a hard-boiled Homer, according to his
> supporters,
> with the devil at his elbow, they say, but might spoil one's
> taste for
> Tex-Mex cuisine. No one gets out alive, that's for sure. Lots
> of savages
> but no noble ones (sounds like US presidents from Texas).

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)