RARA-AVIS: Gash and other queries

From: hlerne@po-box.mcgill.ca
Date: 13 Jul 2006

Hello all,

A couple of questions:

1) Are there any critical works concerning the writings of Jonathan Gash, the creator of "Lovejoy"? I've been reading several of these self-described narratives and they strike me as a rather unconventional take on the typical hard-boiled tale. I would be very interested in any suggestions that would lead to further insights on Gash's work in the context of British fiction, mystery or otherwise.

2) I mentioned not long ago on this list that I picked up a copy of Ross Macdonald's Inward Journey. I've started reading the first essay by RM titled "Scene of the Crime" (1954) in which he discusses at length the central role of a sense of guilt in mystery or "popular fiction" that is interwoven throughout the work of Poe and his successors as a result of the new found freedoms brought forth by the industrial revolution and the human inability to rationally deal with both the internal and external pressures they impose. How does this translate with regards to modern noir and hardboiled fiction? Is a sense of guilt regarding our own inner demons still in play, or is it increasingly a continuation and elaboration of a long-established literary tradition?

Harry

Harry Lerner PhD Candidate Department of Anthropology McGill University Montreal, Quebec Canada

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Yahoo! Groups gets a make over. See the new email design. http://us.click.yahoo.com/XISQkA/lOaOAA/yQLSAA/kqIolB/TM