RARA-AVIS: Re: Hardboiled Radio

From: Dick Lochte ( dlochte@gmail.com)
Date: 13 Jul 2006

Miker wrote re William Conrad and Gunsmoke:

I believe that Conrad was considered and rejected for the TV show, but I wouldn't swear to it.

There's a story, possibly true, that after meeting with the television producers, as he got up to leave, the armchair in which he'd been sitting got up with him. In those days, Arness must have been thin enough to stand alone. Conrad did appear as Matt Dillon, sort of, in the fifties movie The Ride Back. Though he was a sheriff and not a marshal and his name was not Dillon, the western was based on one of the Gunsmoke radio shows in which the lawman hunts down an escaped criminal and then is faced with the ordeal of bringing him back to justice. The star of the movie was Anthony Quinn, who played the escapee, but Conrad is the protagonist. At least that's how I, a Gunsmoke fan, remember it.

For the record, he was also the first TV Nero Wolfe.

Dick Lochte