Re: RARA-AVIS: Carter Brown

From: scott64b (
Date: 12 Jul 2006

--- In, Michael Robison
<miker_zspider@...> wrote:
> This is some information on Carter Brown that I've
> snipped out of a review I wrote on his The Body:
> Carter Brown is a pseudonym for the prolific
> Australian crime writer Alan Yates, who wrote more
> than 150 novels between 1953 and 1968. Five years
> after he started writing, over 25 million Carter Brown
> books were in print. Born in 1923, he worked in sales
> and public relation in Australia until he turned to
> writing full-time in 1953. From the very beginning he
> was incredibly productive. Starting with VENUS
> UNARMED (1953), he published an astonishing 8 novels
> in his first year. He employed a number of series
> protagonists. Al Wheeler, a homicide detective for a
> small southern California town, is his most popular
> hero. He appears for the first time in THE WENCH IS
> WICKED (1955). Mavis Seidliz, a private detective,
> was his most popular female protagonist. In 1959
> Gallimard published him in the famous French Serie
> Noire series. With the exception of the
> ground-breaking mystery aficionado Anthony Boucher,
> Brown's novels were ignored by the critics. Yates was
> married to Denise Mackellar and they had one daughter
> and three sons. In 1966 he began writing under the
> name Caroline Farr. He wrote an autobiography in 1983
> and died on May 5, 1985.
> miker
Actually he only wrote one Caroline Farr that I can find. The rest were writen by a few other Australian authors, Carl Ruhen, Lee Pattinson and Richard Wilkes-Hunter. First first Carter brown was titled The Lady is Murder in 1951 which was a novelette.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Check out the new improvements in Yahoo! Groups email.