RARA-AVIS: Duane Swierczynski's THE WHEEL MAN

From: R. & J. Clinton ( clinton65@comcast.net)
Date: 16 May 2006

I mentioned a couple weeks ago that had picked up Duane Swierczynski's THE WHEEL MAN. I read over the span of the last few nights, and I can't recommend this book more highly...what a fantastic (and often humorous in the darkest sense), wild ride. A unrelenting thrill ride of unbridled avarice and violent misfortune, it encapsulates beautifully every element that made the Gold Medal classics so vibrant in character and plot...but with a modern touch that only adds to the mix rather than diluting it (as is so often the case).

The only problem with a book like this is that the next few books one reads seem to pale in comparison, until the power and impact of the original book dissapates somewhat into memory. Though with Starr's BUST and Lionel White's CAPER up on deck, I doubt this'll be a problem with time around. ;-)

Duane Swierczynski's name seems awfully familiar to me -- and I suspect there's not a lot of folks running around with that name -- and I have a hunch it's perhaps because he's a member of this list. Or maybe it's another list. In any event, should he see this email, let me congratulate him on an outstanding work; he's made himself one new and very enthusiastic fan.

Ron Clinton

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Everything you need is one click away.  Make Yahoo! your home page now. http://us.click.yahoo.com/AHchtC/4FxNAA/yQLSAA/kqIolB/TM