RARA-AVIS: Re: Gischler's Shotgun Opera

From: Duane Spurlock ( duane1spur@yahoo.com)
Date: 16 May 2006

" vhend1234@aol.com" vhend1234@aol.com et al wrote about...

<< Pistol Poets ... Gun Monkeys....

  ...great dark comedy. Of course, there's normally less bloodshed among the poetry crowd! I don't want to ruin it for anyone, because it's not effective to quote it out of context, but one of my favorite lines of all times comes at the very end of Chapter 10. So descriptive, humorous, and perfectly in character.

  I don't think this has gotten mentioned here before, during our discussion of Harry Crews or other "great dark comedy" works -- but if you like dark comedy, some southern gothic, and over-the-top characters with a bit of violence thrown in, let me recommend YONDER STANDS YOUR ORPHAN by Barry Hannah. Not quite like anything else you may have read lately.

  Three years after reading it, I'm still not sure if it's Hannah's southern gothic twist on Dickens or... or just something else.

  - Duane Spurlock
  www.pulprack.com

--------------------------------- How low will we go? Check out Yahoo! Messenger's low PC-to-Phone call rates.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Get to your groups with one click. Know instantly when new email arrives http://us.click.yahoo.com/.7bhrC/MGxNAA/yQLSAA/kqIolB/TM