Re: RARA-AVIS: Wade Miller's BRANDED WOMAN

From: Doug Bassett ( dj_bassett@yahoo.com)
Date: 01 May 2006

I liked BRANDED WOMAN myself, although I think it's major interest lies in how it's formally skewed: it's kind of an experiment, in other words.

Recent hb or hb-like books I've read include:

KC Constantine's THE MAN WHO LIKED SLOW TOMATOES. I've been reading alot of Constantine lately, and I think I agree with everyone that TOMATOES is one of his best books. Although I think his best, at least of what I've read, is THE MAN WHO LIKED TO LOOK AT HIMSELF. Constantine strikes me as a very hit or miss kind of writer, when he's on he's absolutely superb but a lot of books just ramble, bluntly.

(I grew up not far from the area Constantine writes about and he has that place down.)

Patricia Highsmith's THE TWO FACES OF JANUARY and SELECTED STORIES. JANUARY is kind of a psychological game, it's neat to watch it play out but once you get the drift nothing here will surprise you. The selected stories reveal Highsmith in all her grand chilliness; a lot of her stuff here reminded me of a less supernatural, more crimey Robert Aickman. Although I like Aickman better, maybe because Highsmith's themes tend to be distancing. I think her animal stories, which lead off the volume, are her most appealing.

Seymour Schubin's WITNESS TO MYSELF. I finally caught up with the April Hardcase and agree, it's a major find. It is also incredibly grim and depressing, honestly I have to say it's more something I respect than actually like. Still, if Schubin doesn't win a major prize for this there ain't no justice in the world, and I would like to see other efforts from him brought back.

doug

Doug Bassett dj_bassett@yahoo.com