Re: RARA-AVIS: Wade Miller's BRANDED WOMAN

From: Jeff Vorzimmer ( jvorzimmer@austin.rr.com)
Date: 01 May 2006

>> Patricia Highsmith's THE TWO FACES OF JANUARY and
> SELECTED STORIES. JANUARY is kind of a psychological
> game, it's neat to watch it play out but once you get
> the drift nothing here will surprise you. The selected
> stories reveal Highsmith in all her grand chilliness;
> a lot of her stuff here reminded me of a less
> supernatural, more crimey Robert Aickman. Although I
> like Aickman better, maybe because Highsmith's themes
> tend to be distancing. I think her animal stories,
> which lead off the volume, are her most appealing.

This pretty typical Highsmith in that it's a theme she goes back to over and over again. Usually two Americans in a foreign country or countries playing cat and mouse. One trying to kill the other or both trying to kill each other. There are slight variations on the theme, but I would say at least half her novels fall into this mold. I think the Ripley novels are her best partly due to the fact that deviate from this theme--for the most part.

Jeff