RARA-AVIS: Matthew Stokoe

From: DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net
Date: 28 Apr 2006

From Bruen's The Dramatist, in reference to Matthew Stokoe's High Life:

"It was Chandler on heroin, Hammett on crack, James M. Cain with a blowtorch, and it matched my mood with a wild ferocity. The writing was a knucklebuster to the brain, chainsaw to the gut. It not so much rocked as walloped the blood with a rush of pure amphetamine. The prose sang and screamed along every page, a cesspit of broken lives illuminated with a taste of dark euphoria. I felt downright feverish. How often is a novel like a literary blow to the system? I felt Jim Thompson would have killed for this. If James Ellroy had indeed abandoned the crime genre, then here as is dark heir."

That's one hell of an endorsement. Taylor drops the names of a lot of books and authors, but seldom does he go on at such length.

Has anyone read this book? Is it even close to this good?

Mark