Re: RARA-AVIS: BUST appearances by Bruen and Starr

From: crimeflix ( jmks100@aol.com)
Date: 28 Apr 2006

Thanks, Bill!...Re the writing of BUST, Ken and I worked on all the chapters together. We had a basic plot from the beginning--though it would change in places--but we didn't work on any chapters individually. One obstacle we knew we'd have to overcome was to make sure the book didn't come off like two people wrote it. In our solo novels, Ken and I have very different styles, so we needed to get the voices to merge....so what we decided was I would bend my writing style toward the way Ken writes, and he'd try to write like me...So some scenes in the book may seem "very Bruen" but that doesn't mean Ken wrote them....we have an Irish character, but I did a lot of that stuff, and Ken did a lot of the American stuff...We ended up with what we think is a new voice for both of which we now call "BUST voice"....We even fooled Charles a couple of times....while he was editing he sent us an email, saying a scene seemed like classic Bruen, when in fact I had written that one...The overall process was hugely enjoyable, and a great change of pace from writing alone. Cheers!J www.jasonstarr.com