RARA-AVIS: Re: Legal, but is it ethical?

From: hardcasecrime ( editor@hardcasecrime.com)
Date: 28 Apr 2006

We've talked about the possibility of doing "about the author" bio- notes (and/or introductory essays), and there are two main reasons we haven't done it:

First, because you didn't see these things in the actual books of the period, and as much as possible we want to replicate the Thing As It Actually Existed rather than producing a modern gloss on that thing. Yes, on the back cover of some old Signet titles you'd sometimes see a bio paragraph, but really never more than that (and usually not even that much).

Second, because we often have a hard time finding enough biographical information even to fill the brief bio-notes we do post on our Web site. Sometimes there's a lot of info out there -- Erle Stanley Gardner, Lawrence Block, Stephen King -- but other times it's much harder to find information about a particularly obscure author. And as noted in an earlier message, we've got our hands plenty full just doing what we're doing today -- anything that falls under the heading "more work" has to be looked at, alas, with a very skeptical eye.

But really it's the first reason that dominates. There are plenty of places someone who is really interested can find out more about the lives of these authors; for instance, they can read RARA-AVIS if they care to. Meanwhile, we want to keep our books as true to the look and contents of their 1950s counterparts as possible...

--Charles