Re: RARA-AVIS: Noir is still the color

From: DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net
Date: 05 Apr 2006

Bill asked:

"The article mentions Asa Nonami, Natsuo Kirino, and Miyuki Miyabi--anyone know their books?"

Kirino wrote Out, which got a whole lot of press (and a fair amount of discussion here) a couple of years ago. It's a very noir tale about the lives of four women who work the night shift at a box lunch factory. One of them kills her husband (not a spoiler, happens very early in the book) and the others help her get rid of the body. The bulk of the book deals with the aftermath. Considering all of the (deserved) attention it got, I'm surprised none of her other books, of which there are supposed to be many, have been translated. Did the attention not translate into sales?

I've had Miyabi's All She Was Worth on my TBR pile for some time. It involves (as does Out, peripherally) predatory lending practices in Japan. I think it involves an investigation of the death of a woman who was deep in debt. I remember reading very good reviews, but I have yet to get to it. I think another of hers might also have been translated.

"T. Kent Morgan mentioned Waites in the fall of 2004:
       http://www.miskatonic.org/rara-avis/archives/200409/0210.html"

Ah, that answers part of my question in my previous email, and this mirrors the rest of it . . .

"What's the best one of his to start with?"

Mark