RARA-AVIS: David Peace/Martyn Waites/Ron Ellis

From: T. Kent Morgan ( tkmorgan@shaw.ca)
Date: 05 Apr 2006

Bill Denton asked about where to start with David Peace and Martyn Waites and E. Borgers suggested Peace. He also said to start with Nineteen Seventy Four, the first in the Red Riding Quartet and I agree. However, I also suggest giving yourself some time between books as they aren't easy reading. I've now read Nineteen Seventy Four, Nineteen Seventy Seven and Nineteen Eighty, but have held off on Nineteen Eighty Three, the book that brings conclusion to this series. Have to be in the right mood.

As for Waites, you don't have to read his first three books featuring Newcastle-based journalist Stephen Larkin in order. In fact, I read book three, Candyland, which is set in London, first and then went back and found Mary's Prayer and Little Triggers. However, I would try to start with the first book.

Waites' fourth novel, titled Born With Punches, focuses on the miners' strike of 1984 and how several of the miners are surviving in 2001. Larkin also is one of the main characters in this book.

After the final Red Riding Quartet book, Peace also wrote a novel titled GB84 about that same year, 1984. I read the Waites book and enjoyed it very much, but the Peace is still in my TBR stack. Born With Punches was published in the UK in 2003 and GB84 in 2004.

Also waiting TBR is The White Room (2004), which Waites set in Newcastle in 1946. I'll be picking up a copy of his latest, The Mercy Seat, when I next visit England in July.

Another series that I enjoy is one written by Ron Ellis featuring Liverpool DJ/private eye Johnny Ace. I wouldn't call it hardboiled, but I would think members of this list would enjoy Ace and the Liverpool surroundings. I've found four to date and will look for the balance in Murder One on Charing Cross Road in London.

Yesterday was a good book hunting day because I found a nice copy of If He Hollers Let Him Go by Chester Himes for twenty cents.

Kent Morgan