Re: RARA-AVIS: My B&N Raymond Chandler Course

From: hlerne@po-box.mcgill.ca
Date: 02 Apr 2006

Hello,

I'm very interested in your course on Raymond Chandler but I'm in the final stages of completing my doctoral dissertation in Anthropology and won't be able to devote the proper amount of time and energy to your course. Is there any way of having access to the course materials
(e.g. notes, assignemnts, etc.) without formally enrolling?

Thanks in advance!

Regards, Harry Lerner

Quoting JIM DOHERTY < jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com>:

> Some of you have expressed an interest in taking the
> on-line Raymond Chandler course I teach at the Barnes
> & Noble website. The next session starts on April 3.
> If you're interested, you can sign up here:
>
> http://educate.barnesandnoble.com/educate/bn/home/catalog/overview.jsp?productId=19352&z=y&nhid=bn
>
> The reading list is:
>
> LESSON ONE:
> "Blackmailers Don't Shoot"
> "Smart-Aleck Kill"
> "Spanish Blood"
>
> LESSON TWO:
> "Finger Man"
> "Goldfish"
> "Red Wind"
> "Trouble Is My Business"
>
> LESSONS THREE & FOUR:
> THE BIG SLEEP
>
> LESSONS FIVE & SIX:
> FAREWELL, MY LOVELY
>
> LESSON SEVEN:
> THE HIGH WINDOW
>
> LESSON EIGHT:
> Review and discussion of Chandler's film work,
> particularly DOUBLE INDEMNITY and THE BLUE DAHLIA.
>
> B&N suggests that you use the Library of America
> omnibus edition, STORIES & EARLY NOVELS, but the
> particular edition doesn't really matter.
>
> Hope to see some of you there.
>
> JIM DOHERTY

Harry Lerner PhD Candidate Department of Anthropology McGill University Montreal, Quebec Canada