Re: RARA-AVIS: Charlie Huston's Caught Stealing

From: Harry Hunsicker ( harryhunsicker@yahoo.com)
Date: 16 Feb 2006

I read the sequel, SIX BAD THINGS, which as I understand it picks up where the first left off, about year later. Hank is living in Mexico, trying to keep a low profile, when a Russian turns up, asking questions. A few dead bodies later, he goes on the run and ends up in the States again, trying to save his parents and not let the Russians get back the money. I really enjoyed the book. The Maltese Falcon on crack blurb is pretty accurrate.
  Then I read Huston's private detective/noir/horror novel, ALREADY DEAD.
  Imagine Elvis Cole on a four day meth bender and a cattle prod up his ass. That's before it gets really wild though.
  Joe Pitt is a vampire PI who tries to maintain his indepedence and not align with any of the vampire factions which rule Manhattan after dark. When the most powerful clan, The Coalition, hires him to find the missing daughter of a Park Avenue socialite, Pitt gets mixed up in a vicious turf war between the warring vampire factions.
  The book contains one of the funniest scenes I have ever read, a three or four paragraph section where Pitt argues with the leaders of the politically correct vampire clan.

--Harry Hunsicker www.harryhunsicker.com

----- Original Message ---- From: Dave Zeltserman davezelt@comcast.net Anyone else read this? Very very impressive book. One of the blurbs on the backcover "reads like The Maltese Falcon on crack" is pretty accurate.