RARA-AVIS: Re: Hardboiled genealogy

From: Kevin Burton Smith ( kvnsmith@thrillingdetective.com)
Date: 06 Feb 2006

> What's especially interesting is this family tree of hardboiled and
> noir:
>
> http://www.mysteryfile.com/Abbott/Hardboiled.pdf
>
> I disagree with the arrangement of things in the 1950s and 1960s, but I
> couldn't do up my own version without a fair bit of brain work. Have a
> look.

You're being too kind. It's skimpy to the point of paper-thin, downplaying entire developments and important relationships in the genre.

Mind you, it's possible the definition of "hardboiled" is so tightly defined as regarding the curriculum that such a flow chart makes sense, but even so, portraying it as a sort of a vertical A to B to C family tree ignores the obvious lateral influences throughout the genre -- people are influenced by their contemporaries as well as their antecedents.

And it's even possible it's not meant to be anything more than a sketchy overview which is fleshed out in class, but still...

Prof. Kevin