RARA-AVIS: Re: List of Reference Works

From: JIM DOHERTY ( jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com)
Date: 06 Feb 2006

Miker,

First of all, thank you for your kind comments about the Chandler course.

Re your comments below:

"I wasn't even aware that you had produced a complete book, Jim! Are there hardcopy versions? I want one! I'm not very e-book literate. Would I need a special reader?"

Since the aggregate word count of the eight lectures I wrote for the course was enough to make a book (a short-ish one, I grant you, but a book), I count those eight lectures as an e-book.

I even submitted it the MWA's Edgar Committee for Critical/Bio Works. Unfortunately, though e-books are allowed to be submitted (I checked witht he NY Office before I printed out and bound the lectures), there were apparently some on the committee who had the same problem seeing the collected lectures as a book that you did.

There is next to no possibility of the lectures ever being printed as an actual bound book, either paperbound or hard. I don't have the option of doing it myself, since I contracted to do the work as
"work-for-hire" and don't actually own the work, and it's very unlikely that the copyright owner, Barnes & Noble, will ever choose to do so.

That's not a complaint. Though I would LOVE to see the lectures collected and printed, I knew going in what the deal was when I signed up and, since those lectures have earned me more than everything else I've ever written (including JUST THE FACTS) combined, I've got absolutely nothing to complain about.

JIM DOHERTY