Re: RARA-AVIS: Surprise Endings (was "Unreliable narrator")

From: Kerry J. Schooley ( gsp.schoo@murderoutthere.com)
Date: 14 Nov 2005

At 08:24 AM 14/11/2005 -0500, you wrote:
>Interesting point about Frank devaluing the Greek so he could kill him. I'm
>not sure Frank really values anyone very much, but it does seem that his
>estimation of Cora's husband deteriorates as the murder plot accelerates.

My memory could be off too, and I may be confusing the movies with the book as well. But I seem to recall that the drifter was appreciative of the Greek initially. The Greek is gregarious and outgoing, even generous. The type of guy who would give a drifter a job when many would refuse, or treat one with suspicion if circumstances had required giving a guy like Frank a job. But the Greek is much more open with him, even invites him into his home as well as his business. And I think Frank enjoys himself at the Greek get-together too, sees how these folks enjoy a good time as much as he does.

Of course the Greek's not perfect. That would be too easy. Cora has her complaints and I suspect they are, at worse, exaggerated. Not that Frank is in love with the whole world, but if he's going to win Cora he's gonna have to adopt some of her outlook to the Greek to get rid of him.

It's very hard to kill someone you like and bear no grudge against. That's why the professional killers in fiction are so cold. They have to remove themselves emotionally from the job in order to do it. We amateurs go further and vilify the victim first.

I learned all this watching Johnny Carson.

best, Kerry

------------------------------------------------------ Literary events Calendar (South Ont.) http://www.lit-electric.com The evil men do lives after them http://www.murderoutthere.com