RARA-AVIS: Perma Red by Debra Magpie Earling

From: Gary ( piesbook@execpc.com)
Date: 11 Nov 2005

At our library the staff reads a book each month to discuss it and the genre it falls in. This month, for Western, one of my staff selected Perma Red by Debra Magpie Earling (Blue Hen, 2002) as an example of a novel of the West. To my great surprise, I found myself reading a work of noir. The basic concept of this novel is that we are watching the life of Louise White Elk, a woman who is fated to be chased by three men throughout her life. None of these men will do her any good, and eventually there are at least two murders in the book. I don't want to say to much about the end, but let's just say if we all read it, we would talk about at length on this list.

Besides the fact that this book won the Spur from the Western Writers for the Best Novel of the West, Earling acknowledges James Crumley at the beginning of the book. I recommend this book for the noir, for the well-developed characters, for the Native American spiritualism, for the setting, and for its use of language.

Best, GWN Gary Warren Niebuhr P. O. Box 341218 Milwaukee, WI 53234 piesbook@execpc.com http://my.execpc.com/~piesbook/piescatalog.html Author of MAKE MINE A MYSTERY and A READERS GUIDE TO THE PRIVATE EYE NOVEL