Re: RARA-AVIS: Unreliable narrator

From: Chris M ( cptpipes@hotmail.com)
Date: 10 Nov 2005

Vicki asked:

>Why does everyone always want to guess who the murderer is? I've never
>understood the fun in that. Do people read only to see if they can be right
>and pat
>themselves on the back? Surprise endings generally ruin most novels and
>stories, in my opinion. The writer is so concerned with plotting, in order
>to make
>his ending work, that he skimps on character development and human
>psychology
>and emotion, what literature is all about, as opposed to a cheap thrill
>that
>you can't enjoy a second time because you know the ending.

Vicki, have you ever read Val McDermid's A Place of Execution? The plotting is tight as a drum, but I think it skimps none on character development, human psychology or emotion. I'll admit that I was surprised by the ending, but I'm sure we have some geniuses out there who can let me know that from page 2 they knew exactly who the killer was. If you read (past or present tense) it and don't feel the same, let us know.

Then there is the joy of reading Ken Bruen--I don't even bother to ponder whodunnit, because anything can happen.