Re: RARA-AVIS: To Live and Die in L.A.

From: JIM DOHERTY ( jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com)
Date: 06 Nov 2005

Miker,

Re your comment on the film version of TO LIVE AND DIE IN L.A. below:

> Based on a novel by a
> fellow named Petievich. I've never seen the book or
> heard of the author.

Back in 2002, during a month devoted to police procedurals, I was asked to give a list of my favorite cop story writers. This was what I wrote:

http://www.miskatonic.org/rara-avis/archives/200209/0361.html

The first response to my list was this:

http://www.miskatonic.org/rara-avis/archives/200209/0363.html

"Never heard of the author?" How soon they forget.

For the record, I believe Petievich's series cop, Secret Service Agent Charles Carr, made Rara-Avis's list of the top 100 hard-boiled characters.

Petievich comes from a law enforcement family. His dad and brother were both LAPD officers. His brother, Detective John Petievich, had a small role as a Secret Service Agent in TO LIVE AND DIE IN L.A. and also played a small part as a homicide detective in COP, based on James Ellroy's BLOOD ON THE MOON.

Four of Petievich's first five novels feature Charles Carr, an LA-based Secret Service agent. The Carr novels are MONEY MEN, ONE-SHOT DEAL, TO DIE IN BEVERLY HILLS, and THE QUALITY OF THE INFORMANT.

The third novel, TO LIVE AND DIE IN L.A., was not part of the series, but has several character in common with the Carr novels. Structurally, it's very different from the movie, telling the story of two different Secret Service men, both trying to get the same counterfeiter. One's doing it by the book (more or less), the other is doing any crooked thing he has to to make the case. The ending is also very different from the movie.

Since that first five, Petievich has concentrated on stand-alone cop novels and movie or TV scripts.

Some of his stand-alones include EARTH ANGELS, based on the activities of LAPD's anti-gang C.R.A.S.H. unit
(where his brother John was assigned for awhile); PARAMOUR, about a Secret Service agent assigned to the White House protective detail who gets a top secret assignement involving the President's supposed mistress; SHAKEDOWN, about an FBI agent assigned to a multi-agency Organized Crime Task Force (Petievich was the Secret Service rep on such a Task Force before he retired) out to nail Vegas's top Mob figure; and, most recently, THE SENTINAL, in which a White House Detail agent gets involved in an affair with the President's wife. A film version starring Kiefer Sutherland is currently being filmed.

More info can be found at Petievich's website here:

http://petievich.com

JIM DOHERTY

__________________________________ Start your day with Yahoo! - Make it your home page! http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs